SQUIRREL TO BLAME FOR SMALL FIRE AT KING MS

Reprinted from WCSH6 Portland

PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) — A squirrel caused quite the commotion at King Middle School on Friday.

Principal Mike McCarthy said a squirrel climbed into a transformer just behind the school and caused it to blow. When CMP crews restored power, it caused a power surge in the school’s gym. Two electrical motors caught fire and smoke poured out of the ducts.

The school was evacuated while crews put out the flames. Due to the smell of smoke and fire fighters working to clear the building, Principal McCarthy said they decided to release students for the day.

There were no injuries.

As far as damage, electricians were called in to replace the electrical motors and repair a portion of the electrical ducts.

Classes are set to resume as usual Tuesday morning.